COPD patients usually have one or more of these symptoms:
- a cough that lasts a long time (3+ months)
- a cough with mucus
- feeling short of breath while doing daily activities, such as climbing the stairs or carrying groceries, jogging, etc.
- lung infections (colds and the flu) that may last longer than usual
- wheezing (a whistling sound when you breathe)
- feeling tired
- losing weight (without trying to)
Please note that feeling short of breath is not a normal sign of aging. Talk to your healthcare provider if you are short of breath when doing everyday activities like walking up the stairs.